Would you like to contribute? Send an email to: shanemwhite@yahoo.com

Monday, November 12, 2007

Thoughts on the San Diego debacle

I didn't think the 2007 Colts would disappoint me as much as they did against the Patriots.

Boy, was I wrong.

The Sunday night game against the Chargers was an absolute disgrace. Oh sure, it was nice they made a comeback and all, but to me that wasn't enough.

First, they should never have been in that spot. The special teams play was absolutely horrendous, and if the Colts don't take action soon -- most preferably a fire and hire -- it will cost them another game and perhaps the division.

Manning's decision making process was equally bad. Did Peyton play poorly because the Colts gave Peyton the junior varisity offense, or did he just blow it? It was probably a combination of both. Just when I thought he had learned about trying to force the issue, he shows me that maybe he's not the mature quarterback we think he is.

And then comes the matter of missed kicks. I have a very low tolerance for missed kicks to begin with; kickers get paid millions of dollars to sit on their ass and occasionally kick a ball. This irritates me by default.

If only my life was as easy.

So, when a guy who has a reputation of being The Best Clutch Kicker Ever and continually misses kick after kick, including a chip shot game-winning field goal, it just makes me absolutely crazy.

Adam Vinatieri can pack his freaking bags for all I care. We need to stop living in Vinatieri Past and get into Vinatieri Present -- he is not the kicker he was with New England. In Indianapolis, Vinatieri is an average kicker who has a range of about 40 yards and cannot be counted on in clutch situations. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Adam.

The injury situation is a disgrace. I don't know what's going on here, but something has got to change. Maybe the Colts have "bad luck" with injuries. I don't know. But when I hear Tony Dungy say 'so and so could've played if ...', I get extremely frustrated. If the Colts continue to take their precautions, they might precaution themselves out of the playoff picture. As it stands now, they're in a dog fight for first in the AFC South with the Titans and Jaguars. And, frankly, the Colts have no business being in that fight ... they should be 9-0 right now. Eventually precautionary measures will have to give way to urgency; otherwise, the "injured" Colts will have all of January to heal themselves.

And along the injury lines, I'm really starting to question the quality of the Colts training staff. I don't know a lot about this kind of thing, but it seems like the Colts always have more injuries than the average football team. I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying that we should question it.

Now New England will run off and hide with home field advantage. The Colts now have to battle with Pittsburgh for the bye; and Tennessee and Jacksonville for the division. This is not the position they want to be in.

That's about all I have to say about this. They better turn it around ... and do it now.

2 comments:

Christopher Maples said...

Relax, guys. Yes, I agree that Purnel needs his head on a platter, and Adam, too.

But don't get doom and gloom. We almost (should have) beat them after being down 23, 18 throwing 6 picks, playing there, with over half of our starters injured. Is there any doubt in your minds that we're not the best team in football?? If I know this team, this loss and the previous one will be the fodder they need to run the table. We don't lose again.

Bryan Haza said...

If this Colts team is:

A) healthy
B) executing fundamentals
C) not having 4th quarter brain fades
D) making FGs;

then yes, I think they are the best team in football with no doubt in my mind.

Something does need to change, though, because they are losing games in ways they should not be losing games. Perhaps Manning should not expect Aaron Moorehead to be at the same place Marvin Harrison would be on a timing route. Or think that throwing deep into double coverage is a great idea. Vinatieri needs to make his goddamn kicks. And guys eventually need to get back on the field. Preserving health for the playoffs is a novel idea, but the idea has cost the Colts home field advantage in the playoffs, and as things stand today, a first round bye.

So let's hope you're right and this loss will give them the fodder they need to run the table. They need something, because current status quo won't cut it for long.